Monday, March 15, 2010

Tales of a Twitter-Convert

I have been a facebook user for about three years but have resisted any other form of social media being reluctant to put myself out there on the world wide web. However, I recently joined twitter and have found myself using it almost as much as I use facebook (which is alot)! I am finding it to be a wonderful source of information. I am following several comedians, political commentators, satirists etc and as well as getting a dose of humour I am getting links to articles, blogs and videos that I would normally never have seen. It is a great way to get access to information outside of traditional media outlets, and information and points of view on topics I would never have considered. This evening, for example, I have received (is that the right word?) several tweets about MediaWatch and Q&A on ABC tonight so I will be tuning into those shows soon.

This I believe is one of the great advantages and drawbacks of Web 2.0. It's a world where everyone who has access to the internet (and is free from pesky censorship) has a voice. This can lead to a monumental amount of egocentric attention-seeking drivel but it also has the potential to give the disenfranchised a much needed voice. In the past the reach of this voice would have been limited by location and resources but in the world of the web their message can be propagated far and wide solely by the power of the masses. It's a dangerous world if ones access to news and current affairs is limited to what is controlled by media tycoons( such as the far-reaching Rupert Murdoch) and the only opinions heard are those with agendas, politicians and shock jocks. Web 2.0 allows for anyone to share their opinion (for better or worse) and to find support amongst likeminded individuals. Any medium that encourages creative expression and the pursuit of knowledge can only be a benefit in education. If children have access to the world at their fingertips, they can find people with shared interests and opinions, have their world view challenged and simply be entertained or informed. Idealistically, the child who feels outcast and like they don't belong will always find others who share their experience. As Kate mentioned in her blog, children can also get feedback and positive reinforcement on their artistic efforts posted on the net. How many times have we seen reported on the news the newest 'you tube sensation'?

Finally, my belief is that everyone has a story to tell. We may not all know (or ever know) what that story is or how to effectively share it but it's there. A medium that allows for this story to be shared can only lead to a richer experience for everyone.

7 comments:

  1. That's a very eloquent way of expressing the democratic potential of web 2.0. (And yes, seeing all the Q&A tweets when it's on in the Eastern States can whet your appetite ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Mark said. I wonder, however, if voices for real change wont just get lost in the noise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. off-topic: I love your fish, they're so hypnotic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Phil's point - there is currently a lot of debate about whether expressing yourself on Twitter, Facebook, etc, etc, can lead to any real-world change. Curiously, it seems that it DOES make a difference in countries which already have democratic structures in place - less so in countries that don't. Evgeny Morozov has a good analysis of this in: Morozov, E. (2009, November 4). Engaged society vs Twittering society. Foreign Policy. http://neteffect.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/11/04/engaged_society_vs_twittering_society

    Oh, yes, and I second Mary on the fish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be excited about how web 2.0 resources can give voice to the disenfranchised, but I wonder about the conveying of emotion. I think an emotional connection is vital for social change and I am not someone that easily connects to web based movements, compared to protests, rallies or voting etc. This may be my ineffective use of web 2.0. Do the digital natives out there feel sufficently affected and motivated by social change movements initiated on the web? I personally, find it too easy to turn off the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I think my post was a bit idealistic and hopeful. However, I do believe the possibility is there. I definitely get emotionally affected by some content on the net, but it is rare as you have to wade through all the frivolous stuff to find it. And even then, am I motivated to make a change? Maybe not. But I do belong to the so-called 'apathetic generation'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And yes, I have spent an embarassingly large amount of time just feeding and watching my fish.

    ReplyDelete